Windstorm mitigation discount, also known as wind mitigation discounts or wind loss mitigation discounts, are reductions in insurance premiums offered to policyholders who have taken steps to make their homes more resistant to wind damage from strong winds. These premium discounts are designed to incentivize homeowners to invest in windstorm loss reduction measures, which can help to reduce the likelihood of wind damage and the associated costs to both the homeowner and the insurance company.
Several different policy types may offer windstorm mitigation discounts, including homeowner’s insurance, and business insurance. However, these discounts are most commonly found in homeowner’s insurance policies, particularly in states prone to windstorms like Florida.
Windstorm Mitigation Discount
There are a variety of windstorm loss reduction measures that homeowners can take to qualify for wind mitigation features. Some of the most common include:
- Installing impact-resistant roofing materials, such as metal or tile, is more resistant to wind damage than traditional asphalt shingles.
- Installing wind-resistant windows and doors to withstand high winds and prevent wind and debris from entering the home.
- Strengthening the roof-to-wall connection can help prevent the roof from being lifted off the home during a windstorm—Hurricane straps, clips, and on older houses’ toenails.
- Installing storm shutters or other protective coverings can help reduce wind damage from flying debris to windows and doors.
- Installing a secondary water resistance or water barrier is an underlayment attached under the primary roof covering to the roof deck if it is penetrated by wind driven rain from hurricane force winds.
By investing in these and other windstorm loss reduction measures, homeowners can qualify for windstorm mitigation discounts and receive premium reductions on their insurance policies. These discounts can range from a few percentage points to more than 50%, depending on the specific measures taken and the insurance company offering the discount.
Wind Mitigation Inspection
To show your homeowners insurer that you qualify for wind mitigation credits, you will need to have a licensed inspector complete a wind mitigation report for you. The certified inspector will either go up on your roof or use a drone to take pictures; they will also need to get into your attic to look at the nail pattern, measure the length of the nail, and look to see how your roof is connected to your walls. These reports typically cost around $90.00, so shop around.
In addition to the insurance savings of windstorm mitigation discounts, there are also practical benefits to reducing wind damage risk. By protecting your home from windstorms, you can help ensure the safety of your family and property during these severe weather events.
Overall, windstorm mitigation discounts are essential for homeowners and insurance companies to reduce the costs and risks of wind damage. By investing in windstorm loss reduction measures and taking advantage of these discounts, homeowners can protect their homes and families while saving money on their insurance premiums.