Will Medicare Pay for Durable Medical Equipment

Durable Medical Equipment is covered under Medicare Part B.  Durable medical equipment (DME) includes things such as canes, walkers, wheelchairs, scooters, oxygen and hospital beds.  Blood sugar monitors, as well as the test strips used, are also considered durable medical equipment (DME).  There are other items that are covered under the DME portion of the Part B coverage.

Being that durable medical equipment is covered under Part B of Medicare.  You will be subject to that current year’s part b deductible (2019 it is $185.00) if you haven’t already paid it for that year.  Medicare will then pay 80% leaving you with 20%.  Depending on your Medicare Supplement plan, you may not have to pay the Part B deductible or 20%.

If you need help with your Medicare Supplemental plan and what it covers, we are available to consult with you at no charge.

Medicare also does have a competitive bidding program for part b supplies like durable medical equipment.  This program currently is only in certain areas, however, I see it going nationwide. The competitive bidding program is a way that Medicare can help control the costs associated with care.