Oh No, you’ve looked in your wallet and much to your dismay you’ve lost Medicare card. Your Medicare card is proof of your Medicare coverage. You might need it to get services at a doctors office or hospital. Depending on how you receive your Medicare benefits will determine who you need to contact to get a replacement card. You will either be contacting the Social Security Administration (SSA) or the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB).
Not to fret though, it is fairly easy to get a replacement Medicare card. Depending on how fast you need your replacement card, will determine which of the several options available is best.
Use this first option if you need immediate proof
Receive your Medicare Benefits through the Social Security Administration
- Visit the local Social Security office
- Call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 they are open Monday through Friday 7AM – 7PM local time
- You can request a replacement card thru the Social Security Administration website in the My Social Security Account If you don’t already have an account it is very easy to create.
- Visit the local Railroad Retirement Board office
- Call the Railroad Retirement Board at 1-877-772-5772, Monday through Friday 9AM – 3:30PM local time
- You can request a replacement card thru the Railroad Retirement Board at the RRB website
After you have made your request to replace your card
You should receive your replacement for your lost Medicare card by mail within 30 days. Finally, Make sure when you request your replacement card that either the Social Security Administration or the Railroad Retirement Board has your current address so that you don’t have any delays or it getting lost in the mail system.
Did you know that you will be getting a new Medicare card.