Here are some questions to consider when evaluating coverage:
- What is the definition of a “disability?”
- Does the policy cover accidents and sicknesses?
- Are benefits available to total disability only or total and partial disability?
- Are “return to work” benefits available even if you are not disabled?
- What percentage of your income will the policy replace in the event of disability?
- Can your premiums be increased in future years?
- How long must you be disabled before premiums are waived?
- Is there an option to buy additional coverage later without needing to prove your insurability?
- Does the policy offer inflation protection?
- Will the policy pay full benefits even if you can work after a catastrophic disability such as losing your hearing, eyesight or losing a limb?
As with any insurance, it’s best to know how your policy works before filing a claim. Call us today (352-508-4221), and we will be glad to review your current coverage or advise on a new policy.